Nazareth Wrestlers Find Loophole

The Nazareth Senior wrestlers charged with dealing drugs at Jacobsburg Park have found a loophole that may keep them on the mat for the 2010/11 season.

Ryan Krecker and Franco Ferraina were charged earlier this month on various drug charges. The school district has a policy in plan that bans extra-curricular activity for one year in these circumstances.  There is a program in place for first time offenders however that limits the suspension to 5 weeks if the offender meets with the parents and the school, completes a drug program and 20 hrs of community service.

This is where the loophole comes in. In an effort to avoid the 5 week wrestling suspension both boys have signed up for the Cross Country team. They are serving their 5 week suspension for that season which will allow them to compete in a full wrestling scheduled.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Should the policy be amended? Check out the full story here and leave your thoughts below.

Leave Your Comments

41 Responses to Nazareth Wrestlers Find Loophole
  1. Brian Correll
    September 29, 2010 | 9:39 am

Loopholes,love how people who commit crimes always get off on loopholes.Not that I do not want to see the kids banned but, they were dealing drugs.I think they should be more worried about jail instead of wrestling, but that’s ok lets just keep letting people get away with things.They are only kids.

2. Jim Stem
    September 29, 2010 | 9:40 am

All local school officials involved in this need to be replaced immediately and the state needs to get involved. Do we really believe this is the first time these 2 have sold or just the first time they were caught? WAKE UP, AMERICA!!! Man, I’m glad I pulled my kids out of the Nazareth school district 11 years ago…

3. Stephen Brown
    September 29, 2010 | 9:40 am

I was upset when I first learned of this situation, but have changed my opinion, based on reason, not emotion. FIRST- the rules are written, and to be used/followed/etc by those under them. These boys didn’t make the rules, so don’t judge t…hem for using them, for their own advantage or not. Judge or criticize ONLY those who wrote the rule/rules. SECOND-be very careful on the use of the term drug “dealer” in this case. A drug “user” could have been found with same thing in their possession. THIRD-their day in court will come as they say. Until then, as young adults, they need to do what is necessary to deal with this, and live life as they would want to. If that includes Wrestling, let them Wrestle with the respect they deseve. LAST- parents- wake up and watch them like hawks until they are out of your nest COMPLETELY. Buy a dozen home drug test kits at the drug store and set them all over the house as a reminder.

4. Wendy Raidline Martinez
    September 29, 2010 | 9:41 am

For God’s sake people this is pot, weed, herb….NOT narcotics or steroids or heroine! Marijuana simple! And by the way, Jim, Nazareth is still the best district around! I think they will be punished enough by their families and the law! Let the wrestle!

5. Jim Stem
    September 29, 2010 | 9:41 am

Yeah, right….I blame the adults for allowing this. Need to rewrite those rules and ban the “athletes” from their CHOSEN sport, not allow them to join a new one and pat ‘em on the back snickering…

6. Jim Stem
    September 29, 2010 | 9:41 am

You want to help these kids? Make them sit next to the mat and watch their team mates wrestle for half the season or until their day in court as well as any fines or penalties have have been met! Allowing them to join the track team and practice is just another form of conditioning. What message does this send to any other kid involved in high school sports?

7. Stephen Brown
    September 29, 2010 | 9:42 am

One more time—–think and use reason-not emotion. Wrestling season is not even here yet. We have NO idea how the head coach may end up dealing with this. But time will show us that as well. Pulled your kids out of Nazareth– great. That called making a decision. Hopefully you used reason, and not emotion in that decision.

8. Jim Stem
    September 29, 2010 | 9:42 am

It’s not just these two kids. It could be Easton, Bangor, Pen Argyl…or any other high school in America. It’s not “just marijuana.” It was just marijuana THIS TIME. When are we going to stop looking the other way and continually make excu…ses for people who break laws? I might be just as irritated if it was the tennis team at Notre Dame. But I think I’m MORE irritated because it’s my alma mater (1981). I have kids. What would I do? I’d want the harshest penalty so that it hurts enough that they wouldn’t want to make the same “mistake” again. In 12 months if they get caught again – they are no longer minors!

9. Chuck Werkheiser
    September 29, 2010 | 9:43 am

I have two thoughts…Nazareth’s rules I think were fair, given that teens do have the tendency to experiment with drugs or alcohol. Allowing first time offenders to go through a program and reduce suspensions is a proper way to deal with those ‘finding their way’ (Note: not drug dealers). The loophole is tough. What would your thoughts be if they were poor wrestlers and potential track studs?

10. Brian Correll
    September 29, 2010 | 9:43 am

Wendy,you cannot say it is only pot.do not try to justify it, a crime is a crime.People really need to stop looking the other way.So you think it problably ok to for example steal a candy bar or something else minor like that and it should be over looked.You do the crime do the time, that simlpe.Stop trying to come up with excuses or bailouts. Maybe they did not kill someone or something serious, but would if some kid got high off of there drugs and got hurt or killed then what?

11. Chuck Werkheiser
    September 29, 2010 | 9:43 am

My second thought is on the parents. Again they weren’t ‘trying’ pot. They were selling it. They had a digital scale. If that were my child, I would deny them from sports, friends, etc. My child would be grounded pretty heavily for felony drug charges.

12. michele
    September 29, 2010 | 11:23 am

I blame the parents for allowing the children to take advantage of the rules. I think the rule is sound; kids are inherently stupid and allowing for mistakes with repercussions is fine. HOWEVER, unless these boys normally do cross country, there are no repercussions (from the school) for their actions. The parents should be enforcing the spirit of the rule and not condoning the behavior by helping to exploit loopholes. Were this my child, he would not be wrestling, and quite possibly not be allowed out unsupervised until trust has been earned back.

13. Thad Frick
    September 29, 2010 | 1:01 pm

Totally disagree…worst thing you could do is sit these kids and give them more downtime. The downtime leads to trouble. Lets remember they are minors! They’ll learn from this and hopefully in the future make better decisions.

14. Thad Frick
    September 29, 2010 | 1:02 pm

AWARENESS. My wife and I have been very active in our kids’ lives – sometimes too tough, sometimes not tough enough. We too are raising a student athlete. At times she completely hates us, but that comes with the territory of trying to help her grow into a young adult who can make good decisions as well as understand that all poor choices bring tough penalties. What “penalty” are these wrestlers experiencing?

15. Jim Stem
    September 29, 2010 | 1:04 pm

In response to Chuck’s second thought. eliminating cell phones, computers, etc is a start…we’ve done it. In response to Wendy’s “let them wrestle”. Why? They are supposed to be banned for a year. First time offenders get 5 weeks. Ok – 5 weeks starting the 1st day of the sport they have been participating in, beginning with official wrestling practice plus 3-5 meets, not to exceed half the season. It would hurt, but they could also be taught a valuable lesson with a chance to right themselves.

16. Brian Correll
    September 29, 2010 | 1:06 pm

We all know for a fact if this was the chess club or band or something like that this would have never been an issue, because Nazareth is known for their wrestling tradition. Cannot possibly set down down 2 senior wrestlers now can we.Maybe the coach should set an example here and step up and personally punish these kids for disgracing the Nazxareth wrestling team.Joe Paternero would never allow this to happen and rather lose every game by doing the right thing then trying to win and send the wrong message.
    If the parents want this to be overlooked then I think the ONLY way that would be is if the kids are drug tested every week at the parents expense and if they test positve once or get caught once with drugs then off the team no questions asked.

17. Joy Abruzzese
    September 29, 2010 | 1:07 pm

I HOPE THE PARENTS, SCHOOL AND ALL THE PEOPLE MAKING EXCUSES WILL BE HAPPY IF THESE KIDS GET OFF AND THEN SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS HAPPENS TO THEM. I AS A PARENT WOULD BE PUNISHING THEM BIG TIME…THEY NEED TO SIT OUT 5 WEEKS OF WRESTLING ALONG WITH
    KEEPING THEM ON A VERY SHORT LEACH WHILE THEY ATTEND DRUG REHAB AND COMMUNITY

18. Joy Abruzzese
    September 29, 2010 | 5:27 pm

LETS HOPE THE PARENTS LOVE THEM ENOUGH TO PUNISH THEM..TIME WILL TELL!!

19. Lacey Smith
    September 29, 2010 | 5:27 pm

Jim Stem- Father of the Year! lolz Its just pot, not like they got a DUI or something

20. Mona Yeager Rosequist
    September 29, 2010 | 5:29 pm

We had something similar happen in our town. Some Track “stars” students were caught with drinking alcohol and smoking pot on the school bus in between events. They were from prominent families in the community. Parents went to the school board and said how sad it would be if “little innocent Johnny” were to lose a scholarship or not able to get in to the school of his choice because he was expelled from school for a little “one time” mistake in judgment. It was well known that these kids had been doing it for a long time. They got a little slap on the hand. Some things never change – It boils down to who you know. It’s not right, but as they say “sometimes it’s hard to fight City Hall”.

21. Joy Abruzzese
    September 29, 2010 | 5:30 pm

MONA, U R RIGHT AND ITS ALSO DISRESPECTFUL FOR ALL THE TEAM MEMBERS THAT FOLLOW THE RULES BUT AREN’T “STARS”. IF NOT PUNISHED THEY WILL BE THE LOSERS EVENTUALLY.

22. Brian Correll
    September 29, 2010 | 5:32 pm

Lacey-Jim was quoting someone else with that statement.He never said it was only pot.He is not like some of these hippy type people saying “only pot whats the bidg deal?”

23. Alex Cole
    September 29, 2010 | 5:33 pm

Hey maybe they were just trying to reach for one of the hallmarks of PROFESSIONAL athletes, substance abuse!

24. Jim Stem
    September 29, 2010 | 5:35 pm

‎”I was just selling pot!” Yup…try explaining that to a college recruiter or during a job interview when they ask if you’ve ever been arrested. Do you know what DUI stands for? Driving Under the Influence – it can be alcohol, narcotics or even prescription meds. Look – I’m no angel, but I can honestly tell you one thing: if I had been made to pay bigger penalties for my mistakes, I wouldn’t have made them additional times!

25. Brian Correll
    September 29, 2010 | 5:36 pm

Jim-totaly agree.I know someone who had more of a alcohol problem then a drug one.Everytime he was caught he always got let off or slapped on the wrist and it kept getting worse.Not that I am blaming the authorites for his behavior,but by them always letting him off did no good for him actaully did more harm.He has since turned things around but it took some time and more punishment might have helped.

26. Jim Stem
    September 29, 2010 | 5:38 pm

Want to make something positive of this? I’d actually be proud of these kids if they could HONESTLY say, “Yes sir, it’s true. I was stupid. It cost me part of my senior wrestling season. I let down my school, coaches and teammates. Since then I’ve been tested and passed every drug test, have spoken to elementary and middle school students about it and paid my dues. Since then, I’ve successfully competed again and have learned from my mistakes. I have realized and accepted responsibility for the mistakes I’ve made. I’ve paid my dues and would like another chance.” Nah….instead they will apparently be able to laugh and say, “Found a loophole!”

27. Joy Abruzzese
    September 29, 2010 | 5:40 pm

AND SADLY THEY ARE GIVEN THE LOOPHOLE BY THE ADULTS THAT SHOULD CARE MORE ABOUT THEM THAN THEIR WRESTLING STATS.

28. Jim Stem
    September 29, 2010 | 5:44 pm

Joy, I think that is the fact that has me more upset. It’s the adults involved in all this that should be ashamed. I hope the current wrestling coach cares enough to set them straight. But it’s Nazareth and it’s wrestling…it’s something that was always a source of pride there. I wonder how Coach Ray would have dealt with this?

29. Jim Stem
    September 29, 2010 | 5:45 pm

You know – I’d like to hear how FORMER Nazareth wrestlers feel about all this?

30. Joy Abruzzese
    September 29, 2010 | 5:46 pm

JIM, DON’T KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER PAHS COACH PETCHEL BUT BOBBY PARSONS WHO WENT ON TO THE NFL..REPORTED FOR EQUIPMENT HANDOUTS WITH LONG HAIR..IT WAS ISSUED AFTER HE MADE A TRIP TO RETO’S BARBER SHOP. IN THOSE DAYS IF YOU GOT IN TROUBLE THE PARENTS SUPPORTED PUNISHMENT/RULES.

31. Joy Abruzzese
    September 29, 2010 | 5:47 pm

AT WHAT AGE SHOULD YOU BE MADE TO FOLLOW THE RULES??? THE COACH COULD FEEL PROUD BY DOING THE RIGHT THING BUT WILL THE PRESSURE MAKE HIM CAVE.

32. Jim Stem
    September 29, 2010 | 5:49 pm

Joy, I remember Bobby Parsons – excellent long time Bears’ punter.

33. Stephen Brown
    September 29, 2010 | 5:50 pm

I believe the coach still has the ability to punish these two, and might, once the season arrives. The parents simply need to live with that decision, or they can quit. AND- the team deserves to vote on letting them back on as well. PERIOD- move on.

34. Adam Clark
    September 29, 2010 | 5:51 pm

OMG i cant beleive this well i guess that it happens…..

35. Mindy Allen
    September 29, 2010 | 5:53 pm

Mindy Allen Jim……..I agree with everything you’ve stated. Think they should be banned from all sports for a period of time. Hey, who knows, if spending more time on the books could result in say a National Merit Scholarship…………oh, but damn, then they’d only get a small mention in the newspaper! And that’s the problem with Nazareth……..Sports Stars first……….Academic achievement second.

36. John York
    September 30, 2010 | 9:56 am

This is not their first time, it is just the first the they were caught. They are also covering for another top wreslter who was there. Sorry, but this is not about it only being pot. These boys do have a reputation for being partiers.

37. Clem Kadiddlehopper
    October 4, 2010 | 9:13 am

The posters here are dead on about the values of NASD. Why do you think they hire so many people of questionable character?

Any of you ever been to a school board meeting? Ever told a Director what you think? Ever bothered to vote in a School Director election? They are the ones that allow this stuff to go on. Get in their bloated, arrogant faces and tell them to do the job they were elected to do.

You can’t change the attitudes and beliefs of the admin, they all started out as teachers and are part of the entitlement class. Only through the Board can change be effected.

38. Sandy Peterson
    October 7, 2010 | 9:22 pm

Let them wrestle! Go Nazareth!!!

39. CEE
    December 14, 2010 | 5:13 pm

WAY TO TEACH THEM A LESSON!! MORONS

40. CEE
    December 14, 2010 | 5:13 pm

THEIR OWN PARENTS SHOULD STOP THEM FROM WRESTLING BY PUNISHING THEM…IS THIS UNHEARD OF ANYMORE??

41. Sherlock Holmes