North Bangor Fireman Drunk During Accident

The North Bangor Fireman that rolled a fire truck tanker after the Tatamy parade was drunk according to police.tanker

Zachary Romano the 20 yr old Upper Mt Bethel resident was found to have a BAC of .16, twice the legal residential limit.

Police say Romano brought the alcohol to the parade but they do not know who sold it to him.

Romano has been charged with DUI-highest rate, DUI-commercial vehicle, DUI by a minor, purchase of alcohol by a minor, reckless driving, careless driving and driving on the wrong side of the road.

Read the full story here.

Leave Your Comments

22 Responses to North Bangor Fireman Drunk During Accident
  1. Stephen Brown
    July 29, 2010 | 5:26 pm

No comments anybody? If that truck would have killed a family of 5, there would be 50 comments on here by now.

2. Kathleen Bakos Koch
    July 29, 2010 | 5:27 pm

Will they ever learn ????

3. Michelle Werner Boell
    July 29, 2010 | 5:29 pm

true that Steve!

4. Stacy Gehman Pittenger
    July 29, 2010 | 5:30 pm

I really hope they dont take away the parade because of people are being stupid

5. Kelly-Jo Harman Smith
    July 29, 2010 | 5:37 pm

Did they really expect him to be sobering considering he was returning from the Tatamy carnival!?! Everybody should have known the answer would be yes!

6. Renee Kern
    July 29, 2010 | 5:37 pm

Not all firemen that were at that carnival were drunk and yes, I know this is true! I know quite a few of them. I hope that his irresponsible behavior doesn’t ruin it for all those that respect the law! They just may need to change a few things to make sure this never happens again. Cannot imagine how this young man feels, it’s a life lesson I hope he doesn’t take for granted!

7. Terry Laudenslager
    July 29, 2010 | 5:38 pm

Thankfully no one was injured but think about all that wasted tax payer money needed to repair or replace that truck. Glad I don’t live in Bangor.

8. Stephen Brown
    July 29, 2010 | 5:38 pm

Keep the comments coming folks….you have all missed the main point so far.

9. Nazareth Daily News
    July 29, 2010 | 5:47 pm

Renee: This is more of less the definition of learning it the hard way.
    Stephen: Maybe you can enlighten us? 9 comments isn’t bad for 3 hrs :)

10. Kathleen Bakos Koch
    July 29, 2010 | 8:45 pm

Stephen … in your opinion, what is the main point?

11. Tami Rosko Frey
    July 29, 2010 | 8:46 pm

How about the fact that he was under age?

12. Terry Laudenslager
    July 29, 2010 | 8:47 pm

could it be that someone saw him drinking at 9:16am and yet still allowed him to drive the truck????

13. Stephen Kresge
    July 29, 2010 | 8:48 pm

He brought the beer to the parade??????? wink, wink.

14. Kathleen Bakos Koch
    July 29, 2010 | 8:49 pm

Yes, he brought beer, so where were his fellow firefighters (who are supposed to be role models)? They MUST have known he was drinking! Why didn’t anyone take the beer and the truck keys? He should have been kicked off as driver as soon as someone knew he had been drinking-UNDERAGE, and reported to the police. It’s a shame one person gives a whole fire department a bad mark, but someone in the dept. should be grown up enough to say something. Like I said, he is lucky he didn’t KILL/MAIM anyone.

15. Stephen Brown
    July 29, 2010 | 8:50 pm

The point is…drinking and driving is still an acceptable behavior amongst those who drink and drive. That is why he drove, that is why nobody stopped him. Those who drink will still drive. It’s easy…drinking robs your ability to make decisions. Nobody gets a pass on this. Political figures, paramedics, police,…anyone is capable of doing it, once their ability to make the right decision is gone.

16. Stephen Brown
    July 29, 2010 | 8:51 pm

Simply put..,I am sorry, but this is not a shock.

17. Kathleen Bakos Koch
    July 29, 2010 | 10:25 pm

Stephen, I agree with you completely. Many years ago my ex was involved in a fire company and it was completely acceptable that the firemen drank (after taking equipment to these parades). I was considered the oddball b/c I didn’t agree with this way of thinking. A drunk never sees any harm in what he/she is doing until after hurting someone … once they are sober and thinking clearly.

18. Jackie Vogt Jacoby
    July 29, 2010 | 10:26 pm

This should have never happened. Very very expensive loss and had he injured and killed someone …..

19. Karl Laubach
    July 30, 2010 | 7:31 am

who was in charge? where was the lt./chief? who gave him the ok to take it? there are a lot of questions. we are not allowed to drink before, during or while we have the trucks out to any parade. one loser who thought he was cool is going to ruin a great yearly event.

20. Renee Kern
    July 30, 2010 | 7:31 am

I agree Karl! I would also like to mention that you cannot say that all firemen are to be considered in the same category. My husband and a lot of his fellow firefighters would never think of drinking and driving, ANY vehicle. Like I said, I hope the young man has learned his lesson and that his fellow firefighters did also! They are to be a crew/team, they should be looking out for one another.

21. cj
    August 1, 2010 | 5:52 pm

To Terry: Actually the passenger Stu got really injured and almost died or at least paralyzed for life. He has several broken bones in his back and neck. Kinda screwed his life up for good.

22. William Nolan
    August 25, 2010 | 2:19 pm

Why was an under 21 driving a piece of fire apparatus? I thought that state law said that you had to be minimum of 21 years of age?